Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Reflections on my First Month at Post

One month has passed, and already the long, hard days of pre-service training seem a lifetime away. I have spent over 30 days as an official Volunteer now, living and working in my new village home, and enjoying the freedoms of being independent. My Zarma language skills improve a little more every day, while the villagers seem to be slowly adapting to my presence (although being the only Westerner for 30km around still marks me as something of a celebrity!). I have a new kitten (named Russia, or "Rousse"), have been adopted into my neighbor's family, and am learning how to prepare some of the tastier Nigerien dishes. So far, so good.

Time here, I've noticed, is a very intangible thing. It is a place where most people rely on the prayer calls instead of clocks, and where cool mornings can fly by while the heat of the afternoon seems unlikely to ever end. A day can seem short or long depending on the temperature. An entire lifetime can pass in just four short months. Every day here is packed full of new things to learn, experiences to be had, chances to grow; I can only imagine how much I will have changed by the end of two years! It will be a very, very long time...but I know it will also go too fast.

Anyway, today I make my return trip back to my village to hammer out my second month. I'm looking forward to getting home, seeing my neighbors, and starting an art class at the primary school. Please keep writing letters and emails, it is always wonderful to hear from America! Until next time, when I'm in for a Thanksgiving feast, enjoy some pictures~!

Kala hanfo,
Mich



Beautiful blue skies over Sambera! Doesn't look like it's 105 degrees, does it??

A scene from my hand-washing event at the primary school. The kids were great!

My kitten, Russia :3

CAMELS IN SAMBERA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Halloween with Team Dosso! We rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment